1. What’s your name & Your Company Name: My name is Amelia Ruth Thompson, owner & founder of Radical Works.
2. Why did you decide to go into business? What was your motivation? How long have you been in business? I’ve been creating things literally my entire life. Over time, the things I would create would take up space; more space than I actually had. When in Spring 2009, a friend suggested, “Why don’t you sell things on Etsy?” So my original idea was simply to clear out space. I opened a shop, but nothing sold. In 2010, the same friend invited me to share a table with her at Louisianime II. There, I sold many of my crafts, with a lady suggesting I open a business to sell items all the time. So the following week, I opened a new shop, Radical Works. From there, I’ve added many difference types of products; as Radical Works is not limited to a single category. Having a shop has not only helped me maintain my crafts and organization, but it has also opened up my mind to many different types of crafts. I always try to include different types within other items.
3. What products do you make and sell? Starting off, I had Radical Bears (teddy bears), magnets, and some leather-working items. In the more recent inventory, I have Radical Bears, hats, scarves, gloves, along with various bath products. This includes soap, bath salts, and perfumes. I’ve also made and sold bath bombs & lotions at a craft show.
4. What are your business goals? I try to set short term goals for myself, as the long term goals can quickly change. But the main goal for my business is freedom through expression. Too many times I’ve been the “odd ball out” in most cases. With my business, it gives me the avenue and method to express myself to others, as well as have others find themselves within my products. It has always been a message in my business: “I never make anything I would like myself”.
5. What are some products you use from Natures Garden; what are your favorite products from Natures Garden? The main products I purchase from the awesome Natures Garden are their bases as well as their fragrances. The fragrances are what keep me coming back, and I love having the fragranced item with the purchases as well. I have a vase for the fragranced roses I’ve received over time.
Your Website: www.radicalworks.etsy.com
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Radical-Works/145705615491497