1. What’s your name & Your Company Name: Liz Holding, L.H. Soaps & Sundries
2. Why did you decide to go into business? What was your motivation? How long have you been in business? I decided to go into business for a silly and simple reason… I love to make soap, and I am really addicted to it. If I didn’t share what I make, I would probably drown under bars and bars of soap! I also love the spectrum of fragrances, playing around with different things, and seeing what I can come up with. Motivation? Well, I have always loved to make things with my hands. As long as I can remember, I have fiddled with various things… I have always had a right-brained curiosity for art, design, and creations, yet as I got older, I developed a very left-brained analytical mind as well. One year, I channeled this energy into mischievously cross-breeding my mom’s favorite rose bushes into an odd new breed. From there, I knew I had a love for science. I got a degree in chemistry and got my first job as a formulation chemist. I learned how to make soap in my college chemistry class, and I learned all about emulsion science in my formulation job. Since then, I have honed my soap making skills, and because of my knowledge of emulsions, have been able to create an incredible set of lotion formulas. Soap making is the perfect craft for a right-left brainer, because it allows me to stay artistic while using science and analysis. I actually learned how to make soap back in 2002 during chemistry class. I have made batch after batch since then, and decided that I have sufficient knowledge of the craft to begin selling. 10 years after beginning, I began to seriously sell, so I have really only been in business for maybe a little less than a year.
3. What products do you make and sell? My shop has a few staple items in it, such as soap, lotions and creams, lip balm, shower gel, etc. However, I am always experimenting and have been known to pull out some custom creations including sugar soaps, bath syrup, face masks, and more.
4. What are your business goals? Ultimately my goal is to be able to quit my day job and focus on L.H. Soaps full time. I would like to procure several wholesale accounts and attend many more craft fairs and events than I already do. I love custom creations for special occasions as well, which is another aspect of my business that I would like to develop more.
5. What are some products you use from Natures Garden; what are your favorite products from Natures Garden? I have actually only ever gotten Nature’s Garden fragrance oils, because I have heard so many wonderful things about them. The extensive reviews and testing for each fragrance is so incredibly helpful. Currently, I am loving the Vanilla Pear and Vanilla Bean fragrances, although every single one I received is amazing.
Your Website: http://lhsoaps.weebly.com
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/lhsoaps